Wake Up to a Brilliant Smile
Does the idea of the dental chair make you anxious? You’re not alone. Nearly 30 percent of Americans fear going to the dentist. At Councill Dental Group, we understand that your fears are real and may even be debilitating. At Councill Dental Group, we will do everything we can to ensure your visit is comfortable and relaxing, this includes offering the latest in sedation dentistry. Because Dr. R. Terry Councill and Dr. Jonathan Glass are certified and highly trained in oral and conscious dental sedation, they take great care to provide comprehensive sedation dentistry services for virtually every dental procedure. Dr. Councill and Dr. Glass can help reduce your anxiety and discomfort so you can get the dental care you need with complete peace of mind.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry refers to any form of sedation intended to calm and relax a patient prior to and during a procedure, and may be recommended for patients with mild to severe dental anxiety. Unfortunately, many people avoid even routine dental visits due to their anxiety, which increases the risk of developing tooth decay, dental disease, and other serious complications. With sedation dentistry, we can alleviate your fears and ensure you receive the dental care you need to maintain a beautiful, healthy smile. There are multiple forms, and varying levels of sedation. Which form of sedation Dr. Councill or Dr. Glass will recommend depends on a number of different factors, including your medical history, and the type of procedure being performed.
The Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
- Calms patients with mild or severe anxiety
- Helps patients with overactive gag reflexes
- Comfortable and minimally invasive
- Can be administered same-day
- Patients will not remember treatment
Sedation dentistry helps patients with mild to severe dental anxiety remain comfortable during a dental procedure. Sedation dentistry also helps patients with severe gag reflexes. Don’t avoid the dental care necessary to keep your smile beautiful, contact Dr. Councill and Dr. Glass today to learn more.
Our Gentle Sedation Dentistry Options
At Councill Dental Group, we offer a range of advanced sedation techniques. Depending on your needs and medical history, Dr. Councill and Dr. Glass offer several gentle sedation options that can help you relax and feel comfortable about receiving dental care. Our sedation techniques include:
- Nitrous Oxide: Popularly known as “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide is administered through a soft mask that fits over your nose. It promotes a feeling of euphoria and relaxation. With nitrous oxide, Dr. Councill and Dr. Glass can easily adjust the level of sedation, and its effects wear off quickly.
- Oral Sedation: Appropriate for patients with moderate dental fear or anxiety, oral sedation refers to an anti-anxiety pill you take the evening before a procedure to help you sleep and again about an hour before you sit down in the dentist chair. The medication puts you in a state of deep relaxation but you can still answer your dentist’s questions. Oral sedation leaves you feeling sleepy and “out of it” for the remainder of the day, so a trusted friend or relative will need to drive you home after your procedure.
- Nitrous Oxide and Oral Sedation: For patients who require a deeper form of sedation, we can combine nitrous oxide and oral sedation for a significantly more relaxed state. You will need someone to drive you home and you may feel groggy for a short period after the procedure.
- IV Sedation: This form of sedation offers the deepest level of sedation available. Anti-anxiety medication is delivered directly to your blood stream using a small needle. IV sedation creates an almost instant sense of profound tranquility and detachment. As with oral conscious sedation, IV sedation will leave you feeling hazy for the rest of the day, and you will need a ride from a friend or family member.
At Councill Dental Group, you can expect to be pampered – with warm soft blankets and Bose® noise-cancelling headphones tuned to your choice of soothing music. Every appointment is designed to ensure you have an experience you didn’t think was possible at a dental office. Our pledge to you: Dr. Councill and Dr. Glass will have you smiling in no time!